Media for the Big Win; Dream Bookshops

So my win of the $15,000 PowerUp! Award for my bookstore business plan got written up in the Daily News yesterday, complete with photo of me with a goofy grin on my face (high on endorphins, as John T. surmised). I know the word got passed around at Winter Institute in Louisville, too.

Thank you so, so much to all of your for your congratulations and your support. Got ideas, suggestions, thoughts? Email me, for goodness' sake -- I'd love to hear from you! (Forgive me if it's mercenary to mention it again, but the one thing still standing between me and opening the bookstore doors is capital -- I'm looking for grants, loans, or any other creative means of pulling it all together, so if you have any suggestions in that regard, I'll probably be interested.)

Anyway, the congratulations keep coming -- from friends and strangers, many of whom think I should open the bookstore in their Brooklyn neighborhood! It's fantastic to know there are so many folks longing for a bookstore out there.

I was curious about how everyone was hearing about the news, and so I admit, I did that vaguely shameful thing authors often resort to -- I Googled myself. And here's who's writing about it (forgive the self-absorption -- it's kind of just for my records):

Chad Post (formerly of Dalkey Archive) in Three Percent, his new blog for Open Letter at University of Rochester...

Bookselling This Week had a nice mention, and Karen Schechner is writing up a more in-depth piece to run later this week...

Levi at Litkicks includes it in his roundup...

Shelf Awareness featured it front and center...

P.J. at Books in Northport gave me a bookseller-to-bookseller shoutout...

And Bud Parr at Chekhov's Mistress has a great post about what kind of bookseller he would be (a bit of a cranky one), along with his congratulations about the win...

Which leads me to another great post at BookNinja about George's dream bookstore (Lisa Loeb is involved)...

Inspired by this piece in the Guardian, about Lee Rourke's dream bookstore...

Which is really about two entrepreneurs (like me!) working toward opening The Big Green Bookshop in London, and writing a blog about the process (they've also apparently been bowled over by the publicity from the article). Warning: the blog opens to the tune of "Pleasant Valley Sunday," which I love but you might want to be aware of if you're in a quiet place.

I love reading all of the literary folks whose dream bookstore resembles that of Bernard Black in Black's Books, a hilarious cancelled BBC sitcom I've been obsessed with lately. Bernard loves drinking wine, reading books, and being left alone, and hates cleaning, anything new, and customers. Obviously he's a terrible bookseller. And as they admit, many of those who dream of the bookstore life aren't really cut out for it. But as my very first bookstore boss used to say, "that's why there are so many books [or jobs] in the world -- so not everyone has to like the same ones." And it doesn't hurt to dream, does it?

Happy Wednesday!

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I use to go to Gotham Book Mart all the time there were two things I saw: 1) booksellers reading, but always friendly (imagine that - it's the only bookstore I've ever been to that you see employees reading and always pinpoint knowledgeable) and 2) Someone talking to Flip or the owner about books (or politics or sports) - always animated, everyone around got involved.

GBM was also overtly literary - an oasis. Dream bookshop - it existed.

Congrats again,
Bud
Unknown said…
Don't apologize for posting your own shout-outs! You've so utterly earned it! ROCK STAR. I can't wait to see you next week!
P. J. Grath said…
I'm still vicariously enjoying your excitement, so of course I'd want to tell everyone I know about it!
jaunty said…
I don't recall saying anything about endorphins but I'll believe you, busy as I've been! I was definitely talking about yrr win @ the WI3, but many folks already knew about it.

In other news - I might even do a new blog post soon. I've been slackin'
Anonymous said…
What a great win for you! Congrats!
I look forward to reading about your future progress. ;D
Simon Key said…
Greetings from the Big Green Bookshop. Congratulations! and good luck with the quest. We offer any advice at all you need, but you seem to have things well in hand.
I've turned off 'pleasant valley sunday' for the time being.

Keep in touch
Simon
kookaburra said…
I'm FINALLY clued in to the fabulous news. Oh, this is so great!

Love & books,
m
Yours truly said…
How do you get your comments to display right in the body of your blog? I can't figure it out on mine, and it is driving me nuts! I guess that's the diff between the grand prize winner and an honorable mention :) Congrats! I'll be looking to you to lead the way...

Popular posts from this blog

"Switchblades, bicycle chains and adventuresome tailors": Colson Whitehead on Brooklyn literary culture

Link-Mad Monday: BEA 2007 and On!

House.